FALSE: You can’t have joy and peace in suffering.
In Acts 9, Jesus changed Saul to Paul and his calling was to suffer and go through affliction for Christ. Jesus suffered. He suffered and enjoyed the results that happened.
Matthew 5:10 NKJV “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
You can have joy in the midst of suffering. We will all suffer it just depends on how you handle suffering.
Deut. 29:29 NKJV “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.”
TRUTH: The cause of all suffering is Satan and sin.
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—
6 Types of Suffering
1. Betrayal of someone you love.
2. Physical Pain and Suffering.
3. Financial loss.
4. Disappoint in our loved ones that brings suffering.
5. Suffering for doing what’s right.
6. The greatest suffering is loss of a loved one – child or grandchild.
We never truly understand this suffering. There is some suffering and pain you will never completely get over it. Put your trust in Jesus Christ you will get through it.
Suffering can be so great we get stuck in the suffering. Satan wants us to curse God when we suffer.
6 Things We Can Do with Our Suffering and Pain
1. When suffering comes, don’t blame God and run from God; run to HIM and trust Him. Proverbs 3:5 NKJV “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding”
2. Ask God to remove the suffering.
3. Ask God to give us strength and comfort during the suffering. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NKJV “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any [a]trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
4. Pray God’s will be done and God be glorified. Matthew 26:39 NKJV “He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
5. Don’t worship the suffering –Worship the Savior.
6. Remember this is not your home. We are only here for one reason, to further the kingdom of God.
Are you suffering today? What could you do that could help you find comfort and peace today? Did you experience a conviction, challenge or a commitment you need to make from this devotion?
Pastor of Journey Church. Business Owner of D&J Tire, D&J Custom Homes, D&J Autoplex and D&J Investments